General Water Damage Tips
- A simple leak test can ensure leaks are not going undetected. To check for hidden leaks, record the current water meter readings. Turn off all faucets and appliances using water and do not flush toilets for one hour. After an hour of water shut off, record the water meter reading again. If the meter reading changed while no water was being used, a leaking pipe may to blame.
- Frequently check pipes under sinks for signs of water leaks.
- Know where the main water shut-off valve is located and ensure it is operational.
- Check for leaks and signs of water intrusion around water structures, pipes, windows and doors.
- Check potential problem spots for moldy odors, discoloration or dampness.
- Install drip pans and drains where accessible.
- Respond immediately if water intrusion occurs in order to minimize damage and loss.