Overcoming Fire Damages with Proper Planning
A fire can generate tremendous amounts of heat, smoke, and soot throughout a commercial facility, even when the flames are concentrated in a small area. As the heat and smoke move, damage to the structure and contents can make it impossible to immediately resume normal business activities. For unprepared property owners, such a closure makes recovery even more difficult.
For decades, SERVPRO of South Orange County Professionals have been providing fire and water cleanup and restoration service. Experience has shown that a proper Disaster Recovery Plan (DRP), including an Emergency Response Profile (ERP), can not only mean the difference between survival and failure, but can also reduce time and recovery costs.
A thorough ERP identifies emergency response providers capable of addressing disaster situations quickly. In the case of a fire damage, SERVPRO of South Orange County would be an essential ERP service provider. Offering 24-hour emergency service, SERVPRO of South Orange County Professionals can normally be onsite prepared to begin emergency mitigation services in as little as four hours.
Please call SERVPRO of South Orange County (407)226-2621 for your professional fire cleaning needs.
Mishandled Fire Damages Can Cause Lingering Problems- Orlando, Fl
Even when a fire is small, the smoke and soot damage that results can be more than a little disruptive. Depending on the type of structure and contents affected, smoke and soot can cause both immediate damage and, if not handles properly, lingering problems that can last for years.
As smoke travels throughout a structure, soot settles out of the air, depositing on surfaces as well as inside contents and tough to reach areas – virtually anywhere air can travel. Soot can be corrosive, quickly deteriorating metal fixtures and electronics, and needs to be handled quickly and properly to help limit secondary damages. Unnecessary movement inside a smoke-damaged area can ground soot particles deeper into carpet or upholstered furniture or even smear wet soot particles, normally found when plastics were among the items burnt by the fire, making the cleanup even more challenging. When property owners attempt to clean up soot, they may succeed in wiping away the surface soot. However, most lack the expertise, equipment, and products necessary to remove the soot trapped out of view, or in difficult to see, much less reach, areas including inside the HVAC system and ductwork.
There is little wonder that smoke odors continue to persist in such cases. Experience has shown that often, as weather conditions change, smoke odors seem to appear or disappear in accordance with the HVAC system. And this is just one source of smoke odor missed by the average property owner.
A trained, uniformed SERVPRO of South Orange County Professional will respond to a fire cleanup call ready to identify the source of fire-related odors, and is equipped to clean and deodorize a structure thoroughly. SERVPRO of South Orange County Professionals work to make it "Like it never even happened."
Please call SERVPRO of South Orange County at (407)226-2621 for all your fire damage needs! We are always here to help.
Property Managers- CHOOSING THE RIGHT EMERGENCY SERVICE PROVIDER
When a disaster strikes and it is time to call in emergency service providers capable of helping you get back into your facility faster and easier, will they be available? This question is vitally important for property managers wishing to prepare an Emergency Response Profile (ERP) suitable for handling real life situations.
Fire and water damages, for instance, never occur at convenient times. Consider the impact a sewer backup occurring at 1:00 a.m. would have on you, your tenants and customers. Unless a service provider offers 24-hour emergency service, there is little chance the facility will be fully operational the next business day.
Instead of tackling the cleanup immediately, you are then resigned to waiting until “normal business hours” just to contact a service provider. Such delays can be quite costly in terms of business interruption and the likelihood of secondary water damages to the facility.
SERVPRO, with over 35 years of service experience handling fire and water cleanup and restoration for the insurance industry, as well as directly for commercial and residential consumers, understands the urgency in responding to disaster situations as soon as possible. All SERVPRO of South Orange County Professionals are committed to providing 24-hour emergency fire and water cleanup and restoration services.
Under normal circumstances, a SERVPRO of South Orange County Professional is on-site at your facility within four hours of receiving your call. A uniformed, trained and well equipped technician can quickly assess the situation and begin emergency mitigation procedures to protect the facility and contents from secondary damages.
If you are considering developing an Emergency Response Profile for a facility, rely on service providers offering 24-hour emergency service. For assistance developing ERP, contact SERVPRO of South Orange County Professional (407)226-2621, who can provide you with advice and help you collect the information you will need should a disaster situation occur in your facility.
Fire Damages and the HVAC System
Following a fire, SERVPRO of South Orange County Professionals pay careful attention to the HVAC system and ductwork to prevent the spread of soot and to eradicate a potential source of lingering smoke odor. If the system was operational at the time the fire occurred, chances are good that the system, including air registers and HVAC units, should be thorough cleaned to prevent continued circulation of soot and odor-causing particles that may have contaminated the system.
Depending on the size of the fire and the methods used to extinguish it, the duct system may also have been compromised by water. In as little as 24-48 hours, this moisture can provide the catalyst for mold and mildew growth inside the duct system, further degrading indoor air quality. If the duct system has been contaminated with water, your SERVPRO of South Orange County Professional can help locate the moisture and remove it before serious air quality problems can develop.
Contact SERVPRO of South Orange County at (407)226-2621 to learn more about air duct system cleaning following a fire damage and the value of maintaining clean air duct systems year-round.
ARE YOU PREPARED?
ARE YOU PREPARED?
A few suggestions to help prepare for a storm:
- Take Pictures of your roof, your contents, your cars, the inside of your rooms, your artwork etc.on a DATED camera. Just in case you need it for insurance purposes.
READ your Insurance papers NOW, and see what your coverage is. After the storm, you may want to revise it!
- Gather all your important papers and objects: Insurance policies, birth certificates, passports, a list of phone numbers in your phone incase your phone runs out of battery, irreplaceable photos, papers, Think of what you would need if you couldn't get back into your house for awhile.
- Get cash to have on hand.
- Keep you medications handy
- Fill your car with gas.
- If you aren't staying at home, let others know where you will be.
- Decide on a central contact person to reach out to, or a place to meet in case everyone gets separated.
- REMEMBER: Your safety and that of your loved ones comes FIRST. Don't try to be a HERO and go out during the storm, or move objects that are too heavy.
- Fill water bottles 3/4 the way full, or fill Ziploc bags to put into the freezer to help keep frozen foods frozen. DON'T open the freezer if the power goes out...Let it stay cold!
- Try and avoid using candles for light... it could turn into a FIRE disaster! Use flashlights and lanterns.
- Bring in anything outdoors that could become a PROJECTILE. Even the smallest objects can do damage blowing in hurricane type winds.
- Be sure your pets are taken care of...they might be frightened during the storm.
- Move you boats to dry storage, or anchor them to the docks according to the rules of the marina.
- ONE more thing....WRITE DOWN our number and PROGRAM it into your phone.
If you experience water damage:
call SERVPRO of South Orange County
Mold Prevention Knows No Season
Maintaining a healthy indoor environment in a commercial facility is a year-round endeavor. While it is true that every building has some mold spores present, unhealthy levels can quickly arise under the right circumstances – usually within 24-48 hours when excess moisture is present.
Periodic inspection and proper maintenance of building envelope, plumbing system and the HVAC system to detect potential problems in advance and to prevent moisture from entering the facility is very important. This is especially true during the fall and winter months when the weather puts extra pressure on these systems and most indoor environments are primed for mild growth (i.e., warmer temperature settings, less air flow to help keep humidity levels under control, etc.) Even in buildings where maintaining a warm indoor environment is a non-issue, indoor air quality can still be impacted by mold species that thrive in cooler conditions.
SERVPRO of South Orange County is equipped with the proper equipment to help identify indoor air quality issues, including improper humidity levels, contaminated ductwork systems and moisture that may have accumulated behind walls or under flooring due to an undetected roof or plumbing leak.
Call us for helpful information on how to prevent indoor air quality issues as part of your Emergency Response Profile development.
Why should I choose SERVPRO of South Orange County for my water damage clean up?
Rapid Response Recovery Time
Why should I choose a professional restoration company for water intrusion/ damage?
- Homeowners should not risk doing the work themselves as there may hidden water or moisture that may go undetected to the untrained eye. Taking into account that mold growth can occur in as little as 24-48 hours in the presence of moisture, undetected water damage can pose long term problems if not properly handled.
- Due to the potential hazards associated with water-related damage, moisture and water should be handled by properly trained and equipped professionals to ensure complete and necessary drying to prevent future harm, extensive structural damage and possible contamination.
- Improper cleanup could hinder property resale value.
- Professional restoration companies have essential tools and techniques to measure moisture in the area to ensure proper and complete drying in a timely manner.
- Water technicians should be fully aware of water or moisture-related characteristics to locate leaks or water damaged areas that may otherwise go unnoticed.
- Homes and other properties are large and often expensive assets. Why run the risks associated with improper drying, deodorizing and disinfecting which can lead to potential secondary structural damage? Help protect your property’s value by calling upon a Professional.
- According to a “Residential Water Claims” article on the International Risk Management Institute website, restoration companies and contractors are often an asset in a water claim situation. The article states, “a major concern in today’s insurance climate is the problem of mold and mildew. When most restoration companies deal with water claims, every effort is made to prevent any problem with mold and mildew.” Restoration companies are in the business of salvaging rather than replacing, which could serve as a benefit to the insurance company.
Why should I choose SERVPRO of South Orange County for water cleanup and restoration?
- SERVPRO of South Orange County recognizes the necessity for prompt and accurate response and offer 1-4-8 Response Guidelines to help minimize additional, secondary or permanent damage and contamination. In addition, SERVPRO of South Orange County is available for emergency response 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
- Knowledge and training are key elements in effective water removal and moisture damage. SERVPRO of South Orange County applies their industry knowledge, training and understanding of hoe relative humidity, temperature, vapor pressure and air movement influence drying conditions.
- Powerful and professional equipment is essential for proper mitigation and efficient restoration of water damaged areas. SERVPRO of South Orange County is outfitted with state-of-the-art industrial grade equipment and products to measure the extent of moisture saturation and offer proper drying, deodorizing and disinfecting of water damaged areas.
- SERVPRO of South Orange County offers content restoration to restore water damaged contents and personal belongings. Often when water damage occurs, personal possessions are also damaged by water or moisture. SERPRO Technicians work diligently to try and return personal contents to pre-loss conditions.
- SERVPRO of South Orange County works with insurance, real estate, contracting and property management companies to offer complete file management, estimates and detailed explanations of work, including status updates, changes and feedback to keep companies fully aware of a property’s drying, cleaning and restoration status. At SERVPRO of South Orange County, we know you want quality information and proof of results. SERVPRO technology is designed to support your efforts!
- Timely mitigation is key to the restoration process. Restoring property is the SERVPRO Professional’s first priority. You will appreciate the immediate response, and you will know everything possible is being done to limit the damage. Even if a loss is below the deductible amount, fast action helps assure the event will stay small!
Professional Drying Following A Commercial Water Damage in Orlando Florida
35,000 DOWNTOWN ORLANDO OFFICE FLOOD HANDLED PROMPTLY BY SERVPRO OF SOUTH ORANGE COUNTY
When a water damage is initially discovered, building occupants and property managers may be both surprised and perplexed. Their normal day-to-day functions can be disrupted, resulting in business downtime. Property owners and building occupants are often consumed with multiple questions and uncertainty as they evaluate the situation and consider the next step of action. “What do I do?” and “Who do I call?” are two commonly asked questions following a water damage discovery.
If your business or property suffers a water loss, immediately contact SERVPRO of South Orange County, Research indicated, “The arrival of a specializing cleanup company signals the start of the solution that will help lead to resolution.” Professional drying and prompt action by experienced restorers following a water intrusion can make a big difference in mitigating structural damage and minimizing secondary damages. A Claims Magazine article entitled “Solving the Mold Challenge Before it Grows” states, “Speed of response by service providers and first responders is the most important component, and one that sets the tone for the steps that follow. Of restoration is to be an option, expeditious and proper removal and treatment of affected items essential.”
SERVPRO of South Orange County understand the importance of timely response. When dealing with a water intrusion, time can be the differentiator between primary, secondary and permanent damage. The amount of time materials remain wet can also determine if they are restorable or must be replaced. Water impacts material immediately and the damage increases as time passes. For example, wood absorbs moisture quickly, which can result in swelling or staining; however, prompt splitting and warping. The professional restorer focuses on eliminating water and moisture quickly to prevent additional damage.
Upon arrival, SERVPRO of South Orange Countys professional team will assess the situation to determine the extent of the damage, A technician will inspect all building components for water and moisture. Although water may only be visible in one room, it is very possible that surrounding areas have also been affected, Water can invade floors, ceilings and walls to find the lowest point within the structure. Water can seep through pinhole crevices and cracks in floors and walls travelling further down into the building. Surfaces such as wood, drywall and carpet pull water away from plain sight and into the interiors of the structure. Inspecting all building components and measuring the moisture level of not only the visibly affected area but also all surrounding areas helps ensure secondary or permanent damage does not occur because wet materials or building components were overlooked.
Knowledge, skill and equipment are all key elements in effective water removal and moisture damage. SERVPRO of South Orange County Technicians apply their industry knowledge, training and experience to measure the extent of moisture saturation and offer proper drying, deodorizing, and disinfecting for areas flooded or damaged by water.
Let SERVPRO of South Orange County assist you with all your commercial and residential needs. We are available 24 hours a day,7 days, a week 365 days a year. We can be reached at (407) 226-2621
Water Damage and Sewage Damage- Orlando, Fl
Sewage Backup-Orlando, Fl
"Water damage can be deceptive. Water penetrates into structural cavities creating trapped pockets of saturation. The detection of water in these areas can often only be discovered with sophisticated moisture detection meters. Undetected moisture will continue to cause damage. This damage, at a minimum, will cause odors. Greater damage will surface when materials delaminate, shrink, split and further deteriorate to where costly repairs are required.
More than just removing excess water, IICRC-certified restorers have the knowledge and equipment to further dry a home or facility (including substructure materials) completely back to pre-loss conditions. Through timely response and the careful monitoring of water damage, mold and other health issues can be prevented. If water damage has been present too long, mold will occur."
It is also important to determine the source so that an appropriate response can be applied. Many times the response can be shaped by determining the source of the intrusion. If the source of the damage is from a flood or other clean water source the response may be much less destructive and more materials will be able to be saved. However, if the source is determined to be a contaminated source such as a sewage back up, even if the water appears clean and clear it is often times still very much contaminated as well.
"Sewage is one of the most dangerous substances to enter homes or buildings. It contains fungi, bacteria and viruses, many of which are disease-causing. Unfortunately, many people fail to understand the hazards that sewage presents, particularly for the very young or very old, or for those with compromised immune systems or respiratory problems.
The IICRC complied guidelines for professional sewage clean-up called the Standard for Water Damage Restoration (S500)."
Once you have determined the source a response can be chosen. The response generally falls under 2 different categories: Flood clean-up or Sewage clean-up.
Below are some tips suggested by the IICRC for Water Clean-up:
The severity of damage escalates the longer water sits and building components and contents stay wet, so time is of the essence in the aftermath of a flood. In fact, mold will grow within 48-72 hours, so aim to start removing water and drying the environment within 48 hours.
Have a list of professionals on hand to call, and understand your insurance policy, as some only cover mold damage up to a certain amount, while others don’t provide any reimbursement for mold.
Ventilate affected areas to prevent mold growth
Assess damage to items and materials
Assess the type of water absorbed by items, such as rainwater, water from broken pipes, contaminated river water or bacteria-filled sewage.
There are ways to salvage specialty items but the decision on whether to save or trash an item will vary depending on the dollar and sentimental value to the owner.
It may not be worthwhile to salvage drywall, carpets and pads, mattresses, pillows, box springs and particleboard. On the other hand, it might be worthwhile to restore costly Persian rugs, leather couches and antiques or heirlooms. Wet clothing and many household fabrics may be salvageable through machine washing, and a 10-minute soak in detergent and hot water, to remove contamination and stains.
The IICRC strongly recommends that in water damages where there are contaminants present (e.g., bacteria, sewage, mold) or where small children or immune-compromised individuals are present that an inspection be conducted by an appropriately trained restorer and remediator.
Expose pockets of saturation
Hidden and concealed pockets of saturation need to be opened for cleaning and drying.
Layers between building materials hold water that must be discovered and removed or dried.
On walls, find the water line and inspect at least a foot beyond it to make sure all damage, wet materials and mold are discovered. Remove and discard the damaged drywall and wet wall insulation.
Wood base trim and hardwood can also be saved with the right equipment and the right circumstances if they can be accessed and completely dried on both sides.
Remember to investigate concealed cavities such as behind walls, in mechanical spaces, under cabinets and furniture, and in crawl spaces.
Conduct a thorough cleaning
Durable, nonporous or semi-porous materials, such as studs and joists, hardwood flooring and vinyl products, can usually be cleaned with common cleaning products or specialized products with detergents.
During cleaning, take care to protect areas that are unaffected by the water or mold.
After a thorough cleaning of salvageable materials, a disinfectant solution may need to be applied in case of harmful bacteria from sewage, river water debris or even standing water that has gone bad.
Professionals like water restoration and mold remediation contractors and indoor environmental professionals can help you decide what is best for your situation.
Once you’ve cleaned the wet materials, conduct another round of cleaning. If you choose to vacuum, use a HEPA-filter vacuum to remove allergens, fine dust and spores.
Confirm drying before reconstruction
Commercial and residential mold damage in Orlando? Call SERVPRO of South Orange County!
Mold in home due to not running the AC.
When you have a water intrusion, mold can quickly become a problem. Especially with the high heat and humidity in Orlando, Florida mold can start to grown in as little as 48 hours. Water intrusions such as a roof leak, plumbing leak, or AC leak should be addressed immediately and dryed out properly in order to avoid mold issues. Mold is not only a hazard to your health but can also cause major damage to your building. SERVPRO of South Orange County Professionals are thoroughly trained and have all the proper equipment to handle any size mold problem.
WATER DAMAGE OR MOLD IN YOUR BUSINESS OR HOME? CALL SERVPRO of South Orange County at (407)226-2621
Related Mold Services
Significant mold growth can occur in 48-72 hours.
Mold presents a greater risk to children, the elderly, and anyone with respiratory problems.
A musty odor may indicate hidden mold behind drywall or under carpeting.
Tips before we arrive:
Don’t touch or disturb the mold.
Don’t blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
Don’t attempt to dry the area yourself.
Don’t spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.